Why does Kiyoshi believe Obaban is a substitute for his mom?
Kiyoshi believed that Obaban was a substitute for his mother because he started to believe in his mothers superstitions. He was being told by his mother that she was going to die because someone in her family has done something wrong and that she was being punished by it. When he went to go get Obaban so she can go see Kiyoshi mother, they were both talking about that sometimes a substitute for someones life can happen and if it does happen that person that is sick can be freed.
Also, Kiyoshi heard a lot of praying coming from the room when his mother and Obaban were in there together, maybe that might have seem like she was offering her life for his mother's. When Obaban died he felt a since of relief because he thought and believe that she was the substituted for his mother even though he was sad for her death but happy for his mother.
Hi Maura,
ReplyDeleteYou brought up a good point about Kiyoshi's mother and Obaban praying together, one life for the other. Great thinking! I noticed you use the word "that" quite often. I do this also and I have to read my writing over a few times, take some of them out and it seems to flow better. Also I thought that maybe you wanted "ed" on the end of seemed and believed. Thank you. Barb
Hi Maura,
ReplyDeleteI like the point you make about Kiyoshi's conflicting feelings. He is both relieved and happy that his mother is alive, yet sad that Obaban is dead. I imagine it would be difficult for a young child to experience both elation and deep sadness at the same time. Your post has me thinking about other events in the book that are similarly bitter-sweet.
Lauren
Hi Maura,
ReplyDeleteI think is very interesting how some children could be sensitive to the pain of a lost when others can’t. On one hand, Kiyoshi seems to be extremely worried about his mother’s fortune; when on the other hand, Toshio doesn’t appear much on the picture. Of course, he must be worry with the situation, but he simply doesn’t react as concern with his family situation as Kiyoshi.
Estela
Hi Maura,
ReplyDeleteWOw great response. I do agree that he did feel some relief when Obanan died, but still sadened by it. I think alot of us take on from our parents, meaning that whatever they believe we fall in there trap and believe the same thing. Hopefully Kyisho can learn from this and know that superstition is not true, i enjoyed reading this keep up the great work.
I think that Kiyoshi began to take his mother's superstitions more seriously when Obaban died, believing she was his mother's substitute. I think it is more comforting to believe there is a reason for why things happen, as opposed to the randomness that seems to be life...
ReplyDeleteHello Maura,
ReplyDeleteI wonder if Kiyoshi went to get Obaban in hopes that she would become the substitute. I understand how Kiyoshi feels where he doesnt want to be happy but is because it saved his mother he is.