Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Eassy 3 Workshop!-What's the importance of forgiveness in "Smoke Signals"? How does Victor learn to forgive his father?

    In the movie Smoke Signals the two main actors Victor and Thomas are on there way to Arizona to pick up Victors, father’s ashes and some of his belongings.  During this time Victor is faced with the most challenging thing a person could be faced with which is to forgive a parent. Forgiveness is when you must put a side all those emotions and anger that you might towards a parent and try to give them a second chance. You must forgive them for their mistakes that they have done, especially were they have hurt you so much because at the end they are you parents, they are he ones that have put you in this world.
    Victor was abandon by his father as a child and all he remembers about his father was the abuse he used to give to Victor and his mother. Victor’s father was an alcoholic, which in the movie that was on reason he left was because the mother didn’t what alcoholism in the family or around Victor. When I was a young girl my father was also an alcoholic, he used to come home and be drunk most of the time. My fathers always seem very violent and loud towards my mother. My siblings and I used to be scared of my father and we would hide in the room or pertain that we were sleeping once he got home. I believe he used to hit my mother when we were young but most of it I tend to leave it a blur.
    Victor had to grow up with out a father and always wondering why his father left him and his mother. Victor grew up to be a very anger person towards other individuals, the only thing he loved doing was playing basketball, which I believe it kept him in the spirit of his father. We all have one thing that keeps us in touch with our parents, for example my mother  loves to cook and I love to learn her recipes so I try my best so one day I can share them with my family and that would be my way to remember my mother.  Victor’s way of remembering his father even though he hated him at first was all the good things he did for him, like play basketball but also all the bad things, too.
    In the movie Smoke Signals forgiveness is a very important part for Victor because that is the only way he can continue to live his live and also realize that his father wasn’t a bad guy, he just made a mistake that he regretted. Victor and Thomas went to Arizona to get the ashes and as soon as they got there they came across the father’s neighbor. She had a lot of stories to tell about Victor’ father to Victor and Thomas.  After hearing all the stories she had Victor started to realize that his father didn’t mean to leave his family and that everyday that went by his father regretted leaving him and his mother. Victor never thought that he would ended up forgiving his father but when he did he had a new sense of life it seemed and it also seem that he was relived.
    Another thing that really helped Victor was having Thomas with him, even though Thomas got on Victors nerves he was glad to have him there during a hard time for Victor. With out forgiveness the story in the movie would have been very different I believe and Victor forgiving his father was a good thing for him to do in the story. After they got the ashes they headed home and Victor ended up throwing his fathers ashes into the river that was near his home. While he was releasing his father into the river Victor started to scream and cry and at this point he started to grief over his father even though he wasn’t around he was sad that his father had died.
    Forgiveness is a very important part of life I believe, we all get mad at someone close to our hearts, but we all have to find it in our hearts to put aside those emotions and forgive that person. We can’t life a healthy life with so much anger in our hearts toward another person; it’s not good for you. So the sooner you get the courage to forgive that person even though they might not be in your life, you will have a sense of relieve and you will be able to continue to live your life.

4 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I think that the thesis of your paper is very strong. I think that you might need to clear it up a little, for the reader. I had to read it twice to be able to follow some of your senetnces. I think that the paper is going to be very good. When write about our lives, it becomes full of emotion. I cant spell or type very well, so I always use the spellchecker, it helps me out alot.
    Great paper
    Thank you
    Benjamin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great first draft! I would suggest that you check your spelling and grammar. Also, I could not locate your thesis statement in the first paragraph. Also, I have a hard time accepting your statement that we should forgive our parents even if they have hurt us. You give your thoughts as to why we should forgive, but I'm not sure that your argument is strong enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Maura,
    I really liked your essay, i really can relate to you about having an alcholoic father, since mine was one as well. I think you had an excellent essay, i saw a couple of errors, but great job.
    Myra A.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Maura,

    Good first draft I think that this is a very solid start for your paper. I think that your story has good strong points and argument. It would us some editing in the spelling and grammer. Also it could do you some good to read over it once or twice to make sure things are the way you want them to be.

    ReplyDelete