What is the meaning of the title?
The meaning of the Title was that everyone is entitle to their own bodies and the reason why that is because in the book Kiyoshi and Toshio parents owe a lot of debit to numerous people. However, they are so poor that all they do is work to repay that debit and the parents make the children work and all the money they earn has to go to the parents to help pay the debit. It seems like they just have children so thy can work for the parents and give them all the money, the parents treat the children like slaves. In the last chapter of the book which was really good chapter Kiyoshi have a teacher that would teach all his children that they have a opportunity to change their lives. And that they shouldn't work for their parents to help them repay their debits. He wanted to express to the children that they didn't have to follow in their parents foot steps, they actually have a choice and they have to break that tradition.
Kiyoshi mother has always expressed that they have to follow in their father's foot steps. Their father worked for his father for 12 years so they expect the same form their children. I believe all of this is wrong, we as parents should want the best for our children and not turn them into our own slaves. I know that there are still some countries that they still have their children married at a certain age to a total stranger, which is so wrong to do. This is what the title meat to me is that everyone has freedom and they should be responsible for their own bodies and destiny.
Hi Maura,
ReplyDeleteIt really bothered me the their mother was encouraging her kids to be like their father in that way. I thought it was really awful of her to encourage them to continue with a life full of struggles instead of encouraging them to be more than that. It's good that they had other influential people in their lives as well.
Deborah
Hi Maura,
ReplyDeleteUsually if we are struggling in life we wouldn’t want our children to later struggle in the same way. I think Kiyoshi’s teacher was a hero to him. His teacher was able to open there eyes and let them know, there is such thing as changing their future.
I think it was bad that their mother encouraged them to be like their father instead of telling the children to learn from that and do better.
ReplyDeleteI totally agree with you in that Toshio and Kiyoshi's parent's demand for their children to work to pay off their debt was wrong. I don't think I will ever understand the cultures that treat their children like slaves. I find it to be very upsetting.
ReplyDeleteHi Maura,
ReplyDeleteGood explaination, i wrote about Mr. Snooky and he seemed like a big influence in those kids life. The kids didnt know how to interrupt Mr snooky, they thought he was just another hater. Wow i mean parents that just have kids to pay for there debts are rude and ruthless. I enjoyed reading your response.
Myra A.