Thursday, August 26, 2010

"Freewriting Exercise Assignment"

What is a freewriting? It's when you write about anything you want or a subject, however you write none stop for about 10 minutes or even more. You continue to write even if you have nothing to say you such write down words, there is no rules and just say what's on your mind. I believe this is a great exercise for writing even though a lot of people it's not and that it's garbage. How freewriting facilitates stronger writing is by helping the mind get more free and also it can give you ideas for your assignment. It can help you get a structure going for the assignment that you are giving.
I found this reading very helpful because i know that in English there are a lot of rules and if sometimes I just free my mind then it would help me out like doing freewriting for the assignment. I am very terrible at English and hopefully doing freewriting will help me out a bit. I found it astonishing that a lot of people believe that freewriting is garbage and a waste of time. I hope that I learn a lot from this class and doing the freewriting, I think this is a great assignment.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Maura,

    Thanks for your ideas! I think some people believe that you need a fully developed idea before you can produce a sentence, and that everything we write should be perfect from the start, hence the criticism.

    Elbow argues against this approach. In his perspective, good writing is something that comes later, after working through messy ideas and after revision.

    Also, I think the constant self-criticism some writers endure stifles their writing; it keeps them from taking chances in their prose and in their ideas.

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maura,
    I also found the reading very helpful. I think free writing is a great idea. I can kind of see why some people might think it's a terrible idea but for someone like me who has a hard time writing it will be really helpful! I'm sure you are not as terrible at English as you think. After all we are our own worst critics.
    :)
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Maura,

    I found the reading very helpful as well, there are some ery good tips to help throughout it and I would've never have thought to use a freewrite to come up with ideas. I liked when you said, "I know that in English there are a lot of rules and if sometimes I just free my mind then it would help me out..." Worrying about the rules always puts such a hamper on my thought process and makes it so difficult to come up with anything good. When that's paired with worrying about what the readers will think about my writing it pretty much stops my thought process altogether, and something that should take me thirty minutes to write ends up taking three hours. I hope freewritings help you as much as I'm sure they'll help me.

    Good Luck,
    Alex Robinson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Maura,
    I also don't agree with the people who think free writes are just about writing garbage. Like the reading said it can actually be thought as garbage because we are writing without rules but I think they are ultimately very helpful. I think it helps people to get rid of anxieties about writing and by getting rid of these we can strengthen our writing skills.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Maura,

    You mentioned that you think writing usually has a lot of rules to it, i to agree with that and im happy that freewriting is ruleless and i guess we can call it more "free". Glad to know we wont be breaking any rules!

    -Taylor

    ReplyDelete