Thursday, September 23, 2010

“Coming Home Again” Dialogue

 What’s the importance of food in this essay?

I believe that the importance of the food was to connect the whole family together and to make the readers know that every family even though they might be separated they will have something that would bring them together. Even though the boy was gone off to boarding school he remembers his mom in the kitchen all the time and all the delicious foods that she created. The food was very important also because that's the way her and her son have a connection, even though they went through there troubles and didn't see each other for a long time the food their connection with the food.  The food was a symbol of love and being together as a family and the connection between them all.

This was a really good reading and it had a lot of emotion in it, it also remind me of my family in some sort because my mom has spent most of her life in the kitchen. She has been sick a few times but not to serious, however I or my sister would help cook dinner when she wasn't feeling good. The ending of the reading had a good symbol because the mom and son talked about their bad times and forgave each other and they new they loved each other no matter what has happen between them.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Maura,

    I like your point that all families have something that connect them. I'll have to think about what that is in my family.

    Your post reminds me that just because people are family, it doesn't mean they'll automatically have a connection. In the writer's case, he's lucky to have found his connection early in his life, especially since he left home to attend school. Without that connection, he might have struggled more to deal with his mother's illness and death. He seems comforted by the fact that he's still able to do something they both loved doing together.

    Thanks for your insight.

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. At the end of your post you said the mother and son talked about their bad times and forgave each other. Their connection was food and when they talked about their bad times, the son was cooking in the kitchen so food really was their common ground and is what brought them together and gave them the ability to talk to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought your blog was great, but I believe that the home is where the mother was, because without the mother being there they wouldn't have memories of her. But the food does contribute to their memories because thats what she did for them, a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    I really agree with you. Meals bring families closer and with my family it means alot. I do try to cook like my mom sometimes, but they never taste like her meals. I enjoy reading your blog, i really understand where you are coming from.
    Myra A.

    ReplyDelete