Thursday, October 21, 2010

“Happy Endings,” “Obituary,” and “Oompah Loompah” Dialogue

   What’s your response to Mr. Harvey?

My response to Mr. Harvey is that he sounds like he is a good teacher wanting to have his children learn proper English. He seems like he wants to help them and get the children prepare for the future and also for the children to have class. He wants them to learn and succeed in life since the parents weren't able to and he wants them to know that there is more out there better for them not just a bad life. He seems like he cares about them even though he stated in the store he doesn't, i agree with what Lovey said that Mr. Harvey wants them to be Americans. 
I don't believe Mr. Harvey has the right to yell at the students since they are only students, yes i know we all get frustrated once in awhile but to yell at them is on call for. He is doing his job as a teacher and even thought the children might hate him they are going to benefit it all at the end and the children learn.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Maura,

    You have me wondering about the criteria for a "good teacher". Are good intentions enough? Should we judge Mr. Harvey for the effect he has on the children or his stated desire to help them learn English? If in the process of trying to help them learn, he destroys their self esteem, is this acceptable and does that make him effective?

    Thanks for giving me more to think about.

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maura,
    Everything you had mentioned in your writings is exactly what I was thinking about when I first read it, I was seeing it as he cared about their education. Even though he could have found a different way to teach them without having to yell and treat the students poorly. I love your last sentence in your writing about how they all might hate him now, but it will have a positive effect on them at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to respectfully disagree with your last sentence: "the children might hate him they are going to benefit it all at the end and the children learn." Some children may not be able to rationalize Mr. Harvey's "good" intentions and, as a result, may be negatively affected. They may suffer self-esteem issues and/or refuse to participate in class causing them to fall behind academically. Most people don't thrive in an intimidating environment such as the one Mr. Harvey created in his classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't like your last sentence. Some kids react differently to how teachers act and it could be negative. Like sandra said, it could result in self esteem issure and not wanting to participate. I've had a teacher like that, and I would just sit in class and be quiet and wouldn't say a word

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Maura,

    I actually disagree with you on this, I do see your points on how Mr. Harvey is trying to help these students with their English. But the way to he is doing it is not okay. I feel like his degrading and breaking these students spirit. To me a good teacher is somebody that’s welling to take their time to explain the material to a student without having to yell or by lowering their self esteem. I know people get frustrated at time with certain people but that doesn’t’ give them the right to make them feel bad about themselves. I’ve had a few teachers that have had positive effects in my life and they did this by taking their time to help me out with problems I was having. Whether some people agree with this or not I do belief that teachers do have some effect on their student’s lives. Although I didn’t agree with you I think that you did a good job with your points.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Maura,
    I'd have to say I disagree with you when you say Mr. Harvey is a "good teacher," no matter if he has good intentions or not, there is a lot more to being a good teacher. Besides the fact that he had yelled at the students and spoke to them with complete disrespect, the story doesn't mention one thing that he had tried to teach the students. I understand the author probably just hadn't included any of that in the story, but the impression that he'd left on the students wasn't one of a person who tried to teach them anything, it's of a person who did nothing but embarrass them and tell them they would never amount to anything. Anyways, the response looked good overall and thanks for giving us another view to consider.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Maura,
    I also wrote about Mr harvey. I dont think he does mean to be rude to the students, like you said he wants them to have a better life then he had. But i still dont think he did have the right to be yelling at the students, knowing that there only children. My father was kinda mean to me but he said he only did it to push me and my sister to have a better life then he had. I really liked your response.
    Myra A.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Maura

    Thank you for seeing Mr. Harvey really probably through his own eyes. It reminds me of the stereotype of the Catholic Nuns that rap your knuckles with the ruler if you messed up. Kids, like adults have their own personalities, issues and different upbringings, so where the kids come from and what their current realities afford them will show on the after-effects of Mr. Harvey's teaching and how they will move on from that class. Some kids grow up with an appreciation for their younger years after they've been through some tough courses while others may be "Traumatized" and it could act like another brick in the wall that they can never get past.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Maura,

    I agree with you, I also believe Mr. Harvey really wants the children to seek for a better future; although, he’s techniques are absolutely not the best ways to get through a child. Perhaps, that was the way he was taught when he was a child himself?

    Estela

    ReplyDelete